General Settings Novice Novice tutorials require no prior knowledge of any specific web programming language.
The General Settings page controls some of the most basic configuration settings for your site: your site's title and location, who may register an account at your site, and how dates and times are calculated and displayed.
- Site Title - lets you enter the name of your site (or blog).
- Tagline - your sites's slogan, or short phrase, or sentence, used to convey the essence of the site and is often funny or eye-catching.
- WordPress Address (URL) - the full URL of the directory containing your WordPress core application files (e.g., wp-config.php, wp-admin, wp-content, and wp-includes). For example, if you installed WordPress into a directory called "blog", then the WordPress address would be http://example.net/blog (where example.net is your domain). If you installed WordPress into your web root, this address will be the root URL http://example.net.
- Site Address (URL) - the address you want people to type in their browser to reach your WordPress site. This is the directory where WordPress's main index.php file is installed. The Site address (URL) is identical to the WordPress address (URL) (above) unless you are giving WordPress its own directory.
- E-mail Address - the e-mail address to which you want WordPress to send messages regarding the administration and maintenance of your WordPress site. For example, if you allow new users to register as a member of your site (see Membership below), then a notification will be sent through e-mail to this address.
- Membership - check this checkbox if you want anyone to be able to register an account on your site.
- New User Default Role - this pull-down box allows you to select the default Role that is assigned to new users. More about users and available roles can be found in this article.
- Timezone - lets you select your timezone, choose a city that is in the same timezone as you are.
- Date Format - the format in which to display dates on your site.
- Time Format - the format in which to display times on your site.
- Week Starts On - lets you select your preferred start date for WordPress calendars from the drop-down box, Monday being the default setting.
- Site Language - the WordPress dashboard language.